(Also works for spools of wire.)
- One ³⁄₈″-inner-diameter galvanized pipe cap
- One ³⁄₈″-inner-diameter 4″- or 5″-long galvanized pipe nipple
- One ³⁄₈″-inner-diameter to ¹⁄₂″-inner-diameter galvanized pipe reducer
- One ¹⁄₂″-inner-diameter coupler
- One ¹⁄₂″-inner-diameter floor flange
Screw them all together, in the reverse order, putting the cap on last after you put the spools onto the pipe.
Left: My solder spindle built from the above recipe. This is with the 5″ pipe nipple.
Right: My wire spindle, built using ¹⁄₂″-inner-diameter all the way down, which it turns out is too big for one of the solder spools. (It was the first draft; the final spindle on the left is the second iteration.)